<$BlogRSDURL$>
News Feed Temporarily Unavailable

September 01, 2005

Here are some snipits of my favorites: 

Thanks to all of you who wrote in…. to those of you who got a rain check…. I am still waiting!!!

Here are some snipits of my favorites:

Relationship according to his grandmother: That girl Travis gave the toilet seat to.

Here is a list of things about you which you might want to give to people you are just getting to know—kind of like an “oh—that’s why he did that” manual.


Travis needs to keep in touch with as many people as possible—Cancer Moon.
Travis accepts and listens to criticism and advice willingly, but rarely alters his plans in accordance with any new information received in criticism or advice.
Travis is afraid of spiders and doesn’t take kindly to other many legged creatures.
Travis likes to eat in the car.
Travis cheats at Monopoly as a “strategy.”
Travis has a poor sense of direction in the Western Hemisphere, but claims to “never get lost” in Asia.
Travis likes chick flicks.
Travis scopes out emergency exits in every public building he enters.
Travis likes to sit facing the exit in restaurants.
Travis tends to embellish his stories, resumes, official documents . . . etc.
Travis snores and should probably be checked for sleep apnea.
Travis likes purple and green
Travis’s aura is purple. (I just know these things.)
Travis believes in omens, but . . . refer back to #2 about criticism and advice and add omens.
Travis is a dyslexic Virgo with Taurus and Cancer tendencies, which makes him an analytical and stubborn problem solver who can’t spell.”

“Some people think that wandering the world is in search of something, some meaning, some purpose, some place to settle down and carve out a life. But for some of us the wandering is our purpose, is where we find meaning, it is what we are searching for, and the trail we carve is our life. Wander on Travis for at least another 30 years. Love from a fellow wanderer.”


“….and you made a big deal about the fact that this was my TENTH birthday and the end of my first decade and all and I remember appreciating how special you helped make me feel. “

“You were always friendly, a protective big brother, an extremely generous person who always went the extra mile for his friends. You were as concerned about injustices as you are today, albeit in a highly Evangelical framework at the time. You were someone who was very driven and motivated by his beliefs at the time, much of which I found hard to relate to given my anti-anything-too-bigoted-religious at the time (which was everything we were surrounded by!) “

“Truth is, my friendship with Trav has been a wonderful string of events. He's kind of like a brother. Who likes guns. And eating animals.”


“But most of all I remember Travis as a happy kid, enjoying himself, playing sports and being excessively loud and at the center of all attention!! I also remember him as charmer….hanging out with girls 2-3 grades higher than his own, which in school is the height success for any normal guy.”

“Travis is a friend one wants to have when your back is against the wall, a man with a big heart who does what he says. “

"MATE! you better start uping your self esteem, and figuring your self out fast! Your missing out on life... just seek Christ and say what you mean... so get in gear/prayer and always remember "Elsie was a fine cow"!" (written in my diary {by Travis} 12th September 92) Yes, we did have a few disagreements, quite a few, but somehow survived!”

“I learned a lot from Travir Henderson. First impressions of him were, um, 16 year old American with a flat top wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Last impressions... well I hope I haven't had my last impressions of him. The last time I saw him was in New Zealand at my wedding. I really had no idea what he would do with his life except that it would involve travel and possibly something to do with the American Government. I guess that part happened and the travel part is still happening. I think travel is in his blood. I hope that the values I saw in him still remain and that what he does with his life (or what it does with him) are strongly influenced by his desire to protect the vulnerable, his generosity, confidence, thoughtfulness about life, noticing the small things, organisation, and especially his passion to know God more.”

“My first impression of you was that you would be someone who would leave an indelible mark on my life. Partly because you were just plain crazy. I remember the first time you pulled the keys out of the ignition in your little pickup truck—while we were on the freeway. Crazy, but fun. Plus I always felt safe with you. Call me crazy.
My last impression of you was that you are going to leave an indelible mark on your world.
I’ve always thought you would work to change whatever corner of the world you were in. You’ve got passion for life and for people and their causes. “

“ My first impression was “DAYAMN. If he weren’t so religious, he’d be fine!” Also, it was nice to have a neighbour who had been across state (and COUNTRY) lines, and didn’t have a yokel accent.”

“you have been one of our closest family friends for nearly 20 years, brotha. Glad to know you and am proud of the work you’ve done helping those in places with no advocacy. Oh, and let me iterate: if Tim gets hurt, don’t come back to the US, cause I’ll have every gang member in the greater Austin area on yoass.”

“Some memories and highlights of our times:
In Pakistan:
- cleaning up after a flood in Jalim (the water line was up to our friend Andy's eyebrows) Travis lying on the floor when he was tired of working.
- kids camp in Jalim with the peshawar crowd - the others were all scared of us!
- I always remember his answer to a question once at that camp - someone asked if he was my friend or my boyfriend - he answered "both".
- His endless supply of medicines, he gave me something once, I was sick all over the side of their car!
- The grenade episode in the bathroom...
- listening to and taping all his stories from his childhood
- drinking Dr. Pepper and eating corn chips in his air-conditioned house
- the flirting game (stone game)
- Beach boys on the way to swim at the Indus river
- Carols by candlelight at his house – he was wearing red long johns and carrying around a fire extinguisher!!
- Once when it was all fun and games until someone loses and eye (almost anyway) - this time it was him
- Cooling down in the children's paddling pool in his front yard
- my surprise 16th birthday when he had to make sure I turned up late... and it almost sacrificed our friendship!!
- Drawing ourselves on the wall of his basement room (each person as they left)

On the way to and in China:
- Resucitating me on the road to China...
- Being scared by the lion on the other side of the bars when we broke into a cage at a zoo to feed a neglected monkey (also China) I've never before or after seen him jump so high!!
- Being spat at by a watermelon seller...
- Riding a motorbike alongside an airport runway and stopping on a high cliff to spit over the edge

The years in between:
- posting all sorts of things, shells, stones, plastic elephant, coins, teddybears, tapes, videos, photos, and a golden rose
- a letter a day for the first month after we parted
- stacks of faxes, letters, packages, emails (usually all typed in capitals and with creative spelling)
- being told off by the boss of my first job when I spent my whole weeks pay on a phonecall with Travis

In NZ
- Talking through the window while he was contagious with glandular fever
- Driving a big old car in the rain
- Pancake breakfasts in the mall
- Riding buses we always had to sit by the emergency exit and walking on the street he always took the side by the traffic.
- Becoming regular customers of Burger Wisconsin
- introducing me to burger King
- Eating in a different restaurant every night
- He often talked about buying land in NZ and living in a glass dome so he could sleep under the stars

Second time in NZ
- Playing paint ball, Travis wading through the river with his gun above his head - then later everyone decided to "get the yank!"...
- Riding the rapids in rubber tubes
- Sending him off hitch hiking and having a big fight about my favourite sunglasses that he tried to steal!
- Flying a barbie kite on the beach

Last impressions
The last time I saw Travis was when I drove him to Auckland airport - he was leaving after coming to NZ for my sisters wedding. Travis had always been a man with big ideas and big dreams. I always enjoyed dreaming up ideas along with him but didn't imagine if they could ever really eventuate (my favourite one was some sort of nomadic program travelling with Mongolian tribes). However, since I last saw Travis I kept getting surprised about where the next communication from him was from and what he was doing. I've now ceased to be surprised, in fact what would surprise me is if he contacted me from a 9 to 5 job where he slept normal hours and ate normal food!”


“ - a big and nearly bold boy/man opened the door and started speaking with an american accent. An american accent? With all these brits? I was not the only foreigner around. How great ! Physically, I immediately thought u were looking like the perfect average american. Too many burgers and coke may be? ;) Actually as Im french, I guess many stereotypes about americans got on my mind very quickly. Its was also the beginning of the Iraki conflict and our countries had different opinions about it.

the first time we really got to know each other in the evening later on at Ulrike's. She was living with italians housemates at this time and one of them, Antonio, was fooling her. He was making her pay a lot of money for the rent and when she was having problems, he was just pretending that everything was ok. Our first talk was about him and this is exactly when I first had a very good impression about u. I thought u were a brave and loyal friend to her when u said u could smash his face in and I liked it. It was a bit violent but It made me laugh and I was sharing the same opinion about him. If I were stronger, I would have loved to do it but u fit more the job than me ;) Then we started talking about the war in Irak and at this point, my stereotypes disappeared. Not the physical ones of course, u still look like an average american ;) but I discovered that looking like an average american doesnt mean that u think the same”


“Travis H is a mystery.

First meeting: At a remote missions base in the middle of a sparsely populated rural district in New Zealand.

First impression:
I remember Trav bed ridden with glandular fever. Him saying, "Slavery in America wasn't so bad" (a curious thing for an enlightened person to say).
American confidence, movie star good looks dressed up in Levis denium. A loyal friend (the kind of loyalty that would impress a Pakistani herdsman).
Beneath the John Wayne grit and guts exterior lurks a kind hearted, generous soul.

Last impression:
An airport farewell; Trav beats a hasty retreat (no fan of soppy, extended goodbyes). He pauses to do a blowfish kiss against a glass wall. It's only fitting that Trav should leave me with a smirk on my face.”

“recall one time I was watching you when your mom and Danny left. As they drove off you started crying and yelling. I got down on my knees to talk to you and you stuck your tongue out at me and yelled at me. It pissed me off so I picked you up by the shoulders and carried you into your room. As I walked through the door I scratched my left arm on a nail from the yarn-art on your wall. Setting you down I sternly said stay here. I wanted to spank you so bad and your mom had previously given me permission but I was too mad and didn't. To this day I still have a scar on my left arm just below my shoulder that reminds me not to punish in anger.”

“My memory of you will be about crossing the barrier and checking out "brown stuff" (Hash) and firing off rounds (AK-47) with Taimur while your oblivious mothers were buying cloth, and tazering us. I'll write as requested but no more of this dying at 22 BS”

“Some people think that wandering the world is in search of something, some meaning, some purpose, some place to settle down and carve out a life. But for some of us the wandering is our purpose, is where we find meaning, it is what we are searching for, and the trail we carve is our life. Wander on Travir for at least another 30 years. Love from a fellow wanderer.”

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Creative Commons License